We are seeking aggressive investigative reporters to join our team at Project-Illuminati, a fledgling online publication looking to create a global reach.
Ideal candidates will long have dreamed of focusing solely on investigative reporting. They’ll have an established track record of building sources from scratch and requesting public records to identify stories that uncover fraud or abuse inimical to the public interest. We’ll want someone who regularly pitches stories and who can keep several major projects cooking at one time. While our focus will not be on daily reporting, the best candidates will bring a sense of urgency and drive to their work. We value innovation, creativity and originality, and we’ll want someone with an eye for telling stories in exciting ways across platforms.
Some other traits we’re seeking include, but are not limited to:
- Persistence in requesting state and federal public records and negotiating their release
- Skepticism and a sharp eye to spot “red flags” that might reveal systemic problems
- Knack for building trust with sources and persuading them to talk on the record
- Obsession with accuracy and the craft of clean, concise writing
- Respect for colleagues and flexibility to help the team succeed in any way necessary
We know everyone reading this job listing may not fit exactly what we’ve described. Some might wonder if their skillset matches what we want, and others might choose not to apply even though they know they would be great at the job. We encourage everyone who shares our passion for investigative reporting to submit an application and tell us why you’d be best.
Applications should include links to examples of work you believe best exemplify the mission of Project-Illuminati and a letter explaining what change, if any, resulted from those stories.
Please include resume, cover letter, and clips in a single PDF document when you apply. Be sure to include a link to your portfolio or other clips as well.